This is the development version for the new mwstake.org/wiki.
Aspect "MWStake incorporation"
MWStake incorporationJump to navigation Jump to search
This page documents the project for mwstake incorporation. Members of mwstake decided to incorporate with the two main goals being: Bank account for events (EMWCon, etc.) and accept grants from the WMF as a non-profit.
|In this context|
What links here?
FOSS Governance Collection
The Foundations group (freedesktop.org) provided a collection of governance documents from free/open source software (FOSS) projects.
- Collection website
- GitLab repository
- Getting started with the FOSS Governance Collection
- Announcing the FOSS Governance Collection
- Follow instructions to process the grant Template:Tick
- Determine which non-profit type to register as Template:Tick
- Work with lawyer to begin incorporation process Template:Tick
- Finalize the Bylaws Template:Tick
- Describe Activities and Operational Information for IRS 1024 Application Template:Tick
- Open a corporate bank account and make sure it follows WMF rules which are similar to the rules for Rapid Grants Template:Tick
- Reporting on the outcome (what worked well, what didn't work well, and what you would do differently next time, etc.). Some sample reports are available.
The following are the major milestones to date:
- 02 August 2018 - Collected individual statements from MWStake members on what role they felt MWStake should have once incorporated
- 15 August 2018 - Rapid Grant Proposal was submitted
- 15 November 2018 - The rapid grant was approved and moved to funded
- 18 December 2018 - Board meeting
- 21 November 2019 - Board meeting
- 20 January 2020 - Board meeting
Board rolls and structure
|Eric-Jan van Kakerken||Member|
Board member applicant request email
The following proposed email will be sent out to mailing lists (Enterprise MediaWiki, SMW Users, MediaWiki-l) in the attempt to fill and open Board Member position.
Hi everyone, The MediaWiki Stakeholders' Group (MWStake)  is a MediaWiki user group consisting of MediaWiki developers, system administrators, consultants, and hosting providers who cooperate in order to improve the software and advocate the needs of MediaWiki users outside the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) and its projects. We have recently incorporated as a 501(c)(6), non-profit organization and are looking to fill an open Board Member position. In this position, you will take part in bootstrapping the formal organisation and have a voice in the overall strategy of the group. We expect a workload of one hour per week, including online meetings every three months. If you are interested, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to learn more, feel free to join our next meeting (February 7th)  or chat on Riot . Thank you, Mark Hershberger President, MWStake  https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_Stakeholders%27_Group  https://mwstake.org/mwstake/wiki/Main_Page  https://mwstake.org/mwstake/wiki/Event:99  https://riot.im/app/#/room/#mwstake-general:matrix.org
|$125||File Articles of Incorporation||Part of Invoice #1 (total = $380)|
|$85||Publish Legal advertisement (newspaper)|
|$85||Publish Legal advertisement (legal journal)|
|$85||Corporate minutes book|
|$600||Non-profit filing fee||Check sent to Smoker Gard made out to US Treasury|
|$1,430||Invoice #2||Final invoice|
- EIN Application and Confirmation
- Pennsylvania Department of State Bureau of Corporations and Charitable Organizations
- Smoker Gard Engagement Letter
- Smoker Gard Invoice #1
- Business Resolution Authorization
- Form 2848 to tell the IRS that Smoker Gard is our rep
- Form 1024 -- Application for Recognition of Exemption Under Section 501(a)
- Copy of cover letter sent to IRS with the Form 1024
- Smoker Gard Invoice #2
- IRS Acknowledgement of Non-profit application
- IRS Confirmation of non-profit status (Related information about tax responsibilities as a non-profit — 4221-NC)
- Reminder from IRS to file Form 990-N